Tuesday, May 20, 2008

What I mean by smart growth

This is my first blog, so hopefully it will be useful to others.

I will be writing about ideas for companies and communities to deal with challenges due to economic challenges as well as challenges due to environment issues.

My main interest is in the quality of life for people and sustainability of communities and companies. I am also not concerned with stock price, as I believe that focusing on quarterly reports have led to many companies sacrificing long-term gains for short term concerns.

I also believe that through setting the rules that markets follow that the market can be convinced to do the desired behavior. For example, if seat belts were not required by law, then by just holding car manufacturers liable for any missing safety devices, they would have installed seat belts to limit liability, without mandating it.

I will go more into these other related points over time.

No comments: